Thursday, February 2, 2017

Introduction-February 2nd, 2017

Hello! My name is Ben Kelty. I am a senior in high school from Flagstaff, Az where I attend BASIS Flagstaff. For the next twelve weeks I will be working on my Senior Research Project at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in the ergonomics laboratory. For more information on this lab please look here: https://prescott.erau.edu/about/labs/ergonomics/index.html. I will be working with Dr. Maxwell Fogleman for this project. He is the professor of ergonomics at ERAU.  I will also be working with Ms. Katelyn Wyatt, who will be my in school advisor.
The goal of my project is to look at the differences between lifting with your back(the stoop lift) versus with your knees(the squat lift). The old saying says to always lift with your knees, but how accurate is this actually? I will be studying the biomechanics of each lift, and the physiological aspect of each lift. I'm really excited to start learning about the Vicon Motion Capture and Measurement System. This system was used in animating the Hulk's movement in The Avengers and systems like it are used in video game and animated movie development. I will use this system to track the movement of each lift, and then use the data it provides to analyze the lifts. The plan for now is to start learning the software next week, and begin capturing the lifts soon after. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment